Are you looking for a harness for your Staffordshire that fits him well? Well, then don’t forget to check out our master guide on what size harness for Staffordshire Bull terrier should you use for training.
What Size Harness for Staffordshire Bull Terrier?
A staffy harness makes it possible for your dog to stroll comfortably without choking. It’s also more secure than a collar because the dog can’t get out of it, which can aid training.
It’s a simple design with extra loops that wrap around the torso and join with connecting straps. This prevents the dog from choking and ensures that the remainder of the animal’s body is supported equally.
Collars and Harnesses Collars are more traditional, yet they pose a severe risk of damage.
Choke collars have been phased out, and dog collars are no exception. Thus, you should consider the thought of getting a harness before you buy one for your Staffordshire.
Continue reading to learn how to measure your dog for the best fit.
Measuring the Size of a Staffy Dog Harness
You can take your Staffordshire to a place like a pet’s home, where the person will measure your dog for free. If you’re buying a dog harness online, make sure you size your dog first. Use an adjustable fabric measuring tape. Stand your dog on flat ground and measure the dimensions with the help of a friend or relative.
To accurately measure your dog, follow the quick and straightforward guidelines below.
How to Measure the Chest of Your Dog
The circumference around the most comprehensive section of your dog’s chest is the chest measurement.
To get an exact chest measurement on a dog, follow these steps:
- Command your dog to remain silent. If he’s nervous or jumps around a lot, use some goodies to reward him for standing still for a few seconds before moving on to the next phase.
- Measure all around the chest, behind the front legs, and the broadest area of the chest, with the tape measure or string. The ribbon or tape should be flat but not too tight against the dog.
- If you’re using a string, measure the distance between the start of a string and the end of the string with a flat scale.
Note: A chest measurement obtained while your dog is lying down would not be accurate.
Measure the Length of a Dog’s Neck
You can get quite varied answers depending on where you measure around the neck. To achieve an exact neck measurement, measure your dog’s neck roughly where a standard collar would fall.
To get an accurate neck reading on a dog, follow these steps:
- Command your dog to stand calmly. Reward this calm behavior later with a good treat.
- Take a tape measure or a string and wrap it around the base of the neck, where a regular collar would be.
- If you’re using a string, measure the distance between the end of the string and the remainder of the string with a flat measuring scale.
- Keep track of your measurements in both centimeters and inches.
Measure Your Dog’s Topline
The topline or rear measurement of your dog is also called the length of your dog.
The top line measurement isn’t a must. Moreover, most manufacturers hardly ask for the topline measurement for delivering the respective harness. However, a few of them still take the length of the staffy, so it is better to have the dimension on paper beforehand.
Topline refers to the length of the dog from the end of its tail to the lower end of the neck (the area where you put the collar).
To have an accurate measurement, make your doggo stand on flat ground with its features lined up properly (make sure it is not stooping sideways.)
How to measure a dog’s topline with accuracy? The steps are as follows:
- Command your dog to stand still in its place. If your staffy is being non-cooperative, then use positive reinforcement to make things work.
- Next, using a measuring tape, follow your dog’s spine till the end of its tail. For better accuracy, take multiple readings and take the average of all of them.
How to Weigh Your Dog
When it comes to weighing a dog, you can use several methods.
Generally, a rough estimation is taken in pounds to find the right size of the harness. However, if you know your staffy’s current weight or remember it from the previous vet appointment, then it will help you land the right sized harness quickly.
Here are the ways to find out how much your dog weighs:
- To find the weight of your dog, use a bathroom scale and place it on the floor.
- Make your dog stand on the bathroom scale and take the value.
- Next, round up this value to its nearest pound.
- Pick up your dog and re-enter the weighing room. Repeat the same process in step 3.
- To determine how much your dog weighs, subtract your weight from your combined weight (from step 3).
Here is a detailed video on how you can measure your dog for the harness.
Harnesses are a perfect fit for short-term training, however; you might know that the pet business lacks a sizing standard. One manufacturer considers “medium” maybe “small” by another.
Take measurements and observe how it fits the dog as it walks and runs.
To avoid choking the dog, the D-ring must be tight and centered. The pressure from the leash can be concentrated at the harness’s neck if the D-ring is positioned incorrectly.