Choosing the right bed for a pit bull terrier will depend on their size. Pit bulls are usually between 20-40 pounds, though they can be bigger. They need a bed that is big enough for their body to fit, and thick enough to provide comfort for their body weight.
The best way to find out the size of bed your pit bull will need is to measure them first. You will want to measure them from the top of their head to the floor, then add one inch for every four pounds they weigh.
Pit bulls need their own bed, and if they don’t have one they will most definitely end up in yours.
- What Size Bed To Get a Pit Bull Terrier?
- What Is Best – Online Purchase or Offline Purchase of Beds?
- Best Dog Beds for Pit Bull Terriers
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Bed To Get a Pit Bull Terrier?
There are three beds available for your Pit Bull terrier, based on its age and size. The small bed size is 30″x 20″, the medium is 35″x 23,” and the large is 40″x 25″. The K9 Ballistics Tough Orthopedic Dog Bed is our top recommendation:
There is also an extra-large option as well that measures 44″x27″, which is big enough to accommodate two medium pit bull terriers.
Pit Bull Terriers are often energetic and active, but they also enjoy being couch potatoes. They will look for a cozy space to curl up when they get tired. It’s best to make it a habit for them to sleep in their own bed, otherwise, they will sleep on your furniture.
Things To Consider While Buying a Bed for a Pit Bull Terrier
Your Pit Bull Terrier also demands rest, just like you do. In fact, your canine buddy will sleep for around 12 hours throughout the day, depending on its age.
There are some aspects that you must consider when it comes to picking a bed for your furry friend. The factors are:
- Your Pet’s Length
If your Pit Bull terrier is still a puppy, then a small bed will work for now. Pit bull puppies can be destructive and may chew on their bed until they are trained. It’s best to start small, and buy larger beds as your pup grows.
Consider the age, weight, and length of your Pit Bull Terrier. Take your pet to the nearest pet store, and have it sit on the beds that you find. Choose the size that allows your pup space to comfortably stretch out. If you don’t find one that works, there are also many options to be found online.
When you are buying online, you should note the dimensions of the bed, and make sure that your pup will fit. Compare the bed size with the length and width of your Pit Bull in their sleeping position. This will give you an idea of whether the size of your dog will fit the bed or not. If your Pit Bull Terrier is fully grown, it’s always better to have a too-large bed, rather than a too-small bed.
Pitbulls are energetic and playful by nature. They can be avid chewers as puppies and can frequently get bored. This means their bed can get destroyed. It’s essential to consider not only the bed’s durability but also to consider whether or not the bed is washable.
There are dog beds available that are made with heavy-duty canvas, or raised beds made of aluminum or PVC pipes and durable fabric. You definitely want to choose a bed that is strong, but still comfortable for your Pit Bull terrier.
- Sleeping Habits of Your Pit Bull Terrier
Dogs can have particular preferences when it comes to their sleeping spot. Just getting any type of bed isn’t going to work. The dog’s habits matter and should be considered while selecting their bed.
If your dog stretches their legs often while sleeping, then an oval or rectangular bed will be best. Such beds have an ample amount of stretch room for your pup. If your Pit Bull terrier likes to curl up or nest while sleeping, then go for a lounge or a bumper bed.
If you are unsure of your dog’s sleeping habits, always go for a bigger one. In fact, the bigger the bed, the better. This gives your pup the room to stretch and sleep peacefully.
- Easy Cleaning and Maintenance
Any dog bed you purchase for your pit bull should be easy to clean and maintain. A dirty dog bed can smell and look unsightly. Keeping their bed clean is definitely a priority, so be sure to confirm that the bed you purchase can be washed.
What Is Best – Online Purchase or Offline Purchase of Beds?
Purchasing a dog bed online gives you many options to choose from and many different price-points. Sadly, purchasing online can also lead to buyer’s remorse if the bed that was pictured on the site is not what shows up at your door. The color could be off, the fabric could be thin and easily ripped, and the bed could be poorly made and not as comfortable as you thought it would be for your dog.
In-Store purchases allow you to physically see and touch the bed before purchasing. You can also have your dog try the bed if it is in a pet store to ensure the bed is comfortable. Unfortunately, In-Store purchases are limited to what the stores have on-hand.
Offline Shopping for Dog Beds
- You can see what the bed really looks and feels like.
- You can actually let your pup try the bed out if it is in a pet-friendly store.
- You can compare the bed size with the figures mentioned on the packaging.
- The options are limited and you may find what you were looking for.
- Brick and Mortar stores may have limited payment options.
- There is less scope for bargaining and discounts.
Online Shopping for Dog Beds
- You can find discounts, coupons, or sales and can save some money.
- There are many options across various sellers for you to choose from.
- You can compare many products to find what suits your pup and you the best.
- There are diverse payment options for you to choose from.
- What you see is not always what you get when you purchase products online.
Considering that online shopping is flexible and offers you with much more options. It’s the best option. If you want to avoid purchasing a bed that doesn’t suit your needs, you can consider getting one of the following beds for pit bull terriers.
Best Dog Beds for Pit Bull Terriers
Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed is specifically designed for senior dogs, making it a great bed for Pitbulls that often get overweight as they age. Unlike the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed, the Big Barker can support dogs weighing 50 to 250 pounds without deforming its shape.
Like the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed, the bed is poly-filled and has a soft headrest pillow that gives comfortable head and neck support for better posture, making it ideal for Pitbulls that have difficulty in breathing when taking rest.
The bed has a thick comfort layer to prevent the dog from feeling the floor’s surface, allowing the pit bull to sleep for hours without discomfort.
Like the Best Friends Calming Donut Dog Bed, this orthopedic bed is designed to offer full joint support for Pitbulls with itching joints. The unique foam in this bed evenly distributes the dog’s weight, relieving the pressure from itchy joints.
The memory foam makes the bed mold to the shape of the pitbull dog using the heat emitted by the body. This helps the bed adapt to the shape of the dog, eliminating the chances of the dog accidentally moving by the sides and getting hurt.
Usually, the foam returns to its original shape after the Pit Bull dog wakes up, regardless of the dog’s size or sleeping style.
The Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed has removable and washable covers that you can conveniently remove and wash. Keeping in mind that Pitbulls are prone to allergies, this washable design improves the dog’s hygiene by preventing skin allergies.
However, this bed may not be the best option for Pit Bulls that weigh below 55 pounds as the strong surface may hurt them rather than molding to their shape.
- Its cover is hard enough to prevent it from getting torn by dogs that are destructive chewers.
- The bed is made of high-quality foam that doesn’t sag under the weight of the dog
- The bed might not be the best option for puppies due to its stiff and sturdy surface
- The zipper is placed at the bottom of the bed and might make scratches on your floor when opening and closing it
- Dog Beds for Large Dogs: Finally, your big furry friend can stretch, curl up, and rest comfortably...
- Clinically Shown to Reduce Joint Pain: Study data has shown that our raised dog beds help ease joint...
- Washable Microsuede Cover: Big Barker’s covers are machine washable & smell-resistant; The fabric...
Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed for Pit Bull Terriers
The Kuranda Bed for Pit Bulls makes a better choice for Pit Bull dogs that tend to chew things destructively. This bed is elevated using the PVC frame that is chew proof, specifically designed to withstand the heavy chewing of Pit Bulls Terrier.
Like the Big Barker Orthopedic Bed, it’s constructed using high-quality materials that make it the right choice for overweight pit bull terriers, as it can support heavy Pit Bulls up to 125 pounds.
The elevated design helps maintain good air circulation, which makes the bed a good choice for Pit Bulls during summer when they need to keep their bodies cool. This design also makes the bed ideal for outdoor use as it prevents the top from getting mud, water, or dirt.
The Kuranda bed comes with easy-to-clean bedding that allows the pit bull to use it regardless of whether it has bathed. Typically, you can wash these beddings normally with a detergent, brush, and water.
Since the bed is waterproof, it dries faster, and you don’t have to worry about where your dog will sleep. Sometimes Pit Bull Terriers love to be alone; during this time, the dog might play with the surrounding objects, biting and scratching them. However, you might not want to leave your Pit Bull Terriers for too long, otherwise, it might lead to negative behavior.
Unlike the Best Friends Calming Donut Dog Bed, this bed is a safe retreat for the Pit Bull as it is made with indestructible and high-quality fabric that poses no harm to the dog.
Typically, this bed is constructed with rails made of aircraft-grade aluminum and PVC, helping protect the premium fabric in the frame from bites. The aluminum and the PVC do not rust, making the bed durable even if your pit bull wets it.
However, the bed is not good for Pit Bulls with dental problems as they can lose teeth due to the hard materials.
- The elevation protects the dog from the cold floor, benefiting Pit Bulls that have arthritis
- The bed is large enough to accommodate even larger and overweight Pit Bulls
- It doesn’t have enough padding, which makes it hard and can cause orthopedic problems for the Pit Bull Terrier
- The sturdy surface might not suit puppies and underweight pit bulls
- ORIGINAL CHEWPROOF BED AND STILL THE BEST - Designed in Maryland in 1995. Patent #US5992348. Still...
- BEST DESIGN - Oversize rails (larger than all competitors) protect fabric in frame. Orthopedic...
- BEST MATERIALS - Aircraft grade aluminum and high strength PVC won't rust. Premium fabric are...
PetFusion Orthopedic Bed for Pit Bulls
Like the Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed, the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed for Pitbulls is made with a memory foam that is soft and firm, offering superior support, especially to Pit Bull puppies.
The waterproof design gives extra protection to the Pit Bull as water and bacteria can not easily penetrate the bed through the outer lining. The waterproof materials are also easy to clean, eliminating worries of stains even if you have not potty-trained your dog.
The PetFusion Orthopedic Bed has poly-filled outer bolster cushions that add a decorative feature to the sides of the orthopedic bed, making it visually pleasing to the dog.
The Orthopedic bed comes with replaceable covers that make it easier to change the look of the bed when the covers are worn out| or when you want to create a notion of a new bed for the pit bull.
In addition, it comes with a non-skid design that helps to prevent the Pit Bull from sliding and falling when turning deep in the night. Like the Kuranda elevated Dog Bed, the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed has a tear-proof design that prevents the bed from getting ripped and torn by the Pit Bulls.
The bed’s cover is made from cotton fabric that is 35% breathable, ensuring steady air circulation to prevent bad smells and bacteria from building up in the bed. This feature improves the health, hygiene, and comfort of the Pit Bull by providing an odorless environment.
Unlike the Best Friends Calming Donut Dog Bed, the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed comes with the YKK Zippers that are self-lubricating, eliminating zipper breakages resulting from the zipper getting gritty over time when exposed to moist conditions. This makes the bed a great choice for winter when the weather is moist.
However, the bed’s shape might get deformed by heavyweight dogs, making it unsuitable for Pit Bulls weighing more than 150 pounds
- The PetFusion bed has a simple design that makes it easier to assemble even camping.
- The beddings are machine washable, which helps to conveniently remove sticky stains and keep the bed odorless
- The bed is not sturdy enough and might be the best choice for large and obese Pit Bulls
- Unlike the Kuranda Bed for Pit Bulls, the covers tend to wear out after several washes
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort,...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear...
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone...
Best Friends Calming Donut Dog Bed for Pit Bull Terriers
The Best Friends Calming Donut Dog Bed is designed in a donut shape with raised sides, making it a great dog bed for Pit Bull Terriers that tend to curl, trying to conserve warmth during winter.
Typically, the bed is designed with water and dirt-resistant bottoms that help in shielding off the bed from accidental messes on the floor that may wet or dirt it.
The bed covers are also machine washable, allowing you to conveniently remove stains that cannot be easily done by hand wash. Typically, this allows you to perform regular cleanings, improving your pitbull’s overall comfort and hygiene.
The bed has a raised rim that offers a sense of security by supporting the dog’s head and neck. It also has a soft filling that helps in relieving muscle and joint pain, making it an ideal option for Pit Bull terriers that engage in intense exercises.
Sometimes the Pit Bull gets infected by hypothyroidism, a condition that makes the dog sleep abnormally long hours. Unlike the Kuranda Elevated Dog Bed, this bed comes with a high-quality vegan faux fur design that offers a comfortable sleep, and the dog can sleep for several hours and wake without hurting joints.
This bed is designed and constructed with products that are lab tested by the Product Safety Commission to ensure the product is free from skin-sensitive chemicals, protecting your Pit Bull Terrier from skin conditions and allergies.
Like the PetFusion Orthopedic Bed, the bed has a high bolster that is ideal for aging Pit Bull dogs that tend to have sore joints and muscles.
However, the bed tends to shrink from its original size and shape after a short period of time, especially when you wash it regularly, making it less durable.
- The bottom of the bed is made of gripping materials, preventing it from sliding onto the floors
- The bed is made of high-quality vegan faux fur, which is soft enough for puppies and senior pit bulls
- The faux fur design makes the bed unsuitable for outdoor use, especially in dump places
- The materials are not sturdy enough, making the bed unsuitable for Pit Bulls with destructive chewing habits
- CALMING DOG BED SUPPORTS BETTER SLEEP: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality Donut Cuddler cat...
- SUPERIOR COMFORT: Cozy, flexible, and finished with vegan faux shag fur, our warming luxury dog bed...
- VERSATILE DESIGN and MAINTENANCE: Available in beautifully natural colors, our cat and dog donut...
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Pit Bulls Have a Bad Chewing Habit?
Yes, Pit Bulls have a bad chewing habit. They tend to be ferocious chewers. The good thing is you can train Pit Bull Terriers to stop this habit.
In other cases, if your Pit Bull terrier is sleeping an uneven routine and has not always done that, you should consult the vet immediately.
It is time for you to end your aimless search for a bed and narrow your search filters. Consider all the factors mentioned in this article, and most importantly, the size of the bed to make your Pit Bull terrier happy while giving them a cozy sleeping space.