If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Bull Terriers are known for their long and uncommon face. They are also known to be mid-sized and sturdy dogs. If you want to know how much is a bull terrier, you’ve come to read the right article.
We are also going to talk about how to take care of bull terriers and their temperament.
How Much Is a Bull Terrier?
A Bull Terrier’s price ranges from $1200 to $2000 with an average price of $1500. A premium quality Bull Terrier can cost up to $5000 with complete documents from a reputable breeder. The price of a Bull Terrier varies depending on the breeder’s location, the dog’s age, sex, and pedigree.
Adopting a Bull Terrier can cost you less. It can range from $150 to $500 depending on the rescue organization and the services the dog needed. However, there is rarely a puppy from a shelter. Usually, it is an adult or a senior Bull Terrier and you should be prepared with whatever comes with him.
Why Bull Terriers Are Expensive?
Bull Terriers are expensive primarily because of their unique looks and characteristics. Here are some of the other reasons why they are one of the most expensive dogs that you can buy.
- Unusual Facial Features. Bull Terriers have elongated faces that make them popular and different from other dog breeds.
- Bull Terriers Are Rare. Bull Terriers are originally bred in England back in the 19th century. Nowadays, most Bull Terriers are still found only in England.
- Breeding is Regulated. Not every Bull Terrier owner can breed their dog without passing the regulations. Because of the many processes, owning a Bull Terrier is not easy as well.
Bull Terrier Temperament
Another thing to take into consideration before owning a Bull Terrier is its temperament. As a general rule to remember, not all dogs and even not all Bull Terriers are the same. These characteristics can be different from one dog to another.
Here are some characteristics of a Bull Terrier that you should take note of.
Smart and Trainable
Bull Terriers are smart enough to follow instructions and respond to training. They can be a little stubborn and disobedient if training is inconsistent or not correctly done. You can hire a professional trainer to help you in the beginning and assess your dog’s ability.
You must remember that every training should be consistent or your Bull Terrier will not learn properly.
Affectionate and Loyal
Though a Bull Terrier is a medium-sized dog with a muscular build, they are still sweet and they love to cuddle. They are also gentle with children and other family members as long as they are well socialized and trained. Supervision is still advised when letting your bull terrier play with your child.
Bull Terriers used to be guard dogs in the past. Because of this, they are still protective and sometimes, mistrusting other people and animals. They tend to bark when something is wrong than their usual environment. Again, early socialization is the key to overcome this aggression.
Bull Terriers are known to be energetic and playful. Sometimes, due to their high level of energy, they can be assertive and their play may turn into biting. Also, if they feel threatened or stressed, they may show signs of assertiveness.
This behavior can also be solved by obedience training and early socialization.
Some breeders and long-time owners do not recommend Bull Terriers for a newbie dog owner. Their personality may not meet yours and may result in a stressful relationship for both of you. However, if you think you have time to train and socialize him, then owning a Bull Terrier won’t be a problem.
How to Take Care of Bull Terriers
Once you have decided to get a Bull Terrier, you should know how to take good care of him so he will grow healthy and active. Here are some tips on how to take care of your Bull Terrier.
- Feed your Bull Terrier a healthy diet. A Bull Terrier puppy has different needs from an adult Bull Terrier. You must know their nutritional needs and give them the proper amount of food. Invest in high-quality dog food to make sure that they can get all the nutrients they need.
- Regular exercise is also important for Bull Terriers. Allot at least an hour or two of daily physical activities whether indoors or outdoors. This is to make sure that your dog can use its energy and it will not turn into bad behavior or habits. Good exercise also keeps them away from several diseases, such as obesity, heart diseases, and diabetes.
- Aside from physical activities, you can also train your Bull terrier with mind games and puzzles, just like a puzzle feeder. Mind games are important to keep them alert and smart.
- Give your Bull Terrier some vitamins or supplements as necessary. Sometimes, their diet is not enough to give them the important nutrients they need especially if they have a condition. These vitamins will help supply their needed nutrients to the body.
- Don’t forget to take him to the vet for a regular check-up. Though your Bull Terrier seems healthy, he still needs at least once or twice a year meeting with the vet.
Are Bull Terriers Good Family Pet?
Bull Terriers are loving, protective, and playful dogs which makes them a good family pet. They can also serve as guard dogs for the family to prevent any untoward incidents. Though they can be aggressive, this attitude can be corrected by proper training and care.
How Big Can an Adult Bull Terriers Grow?
An adult Bull Terrier can grow to a maximum of 21 to 22 inches tall and can weigh up to 50 to 70 pounds. They are considered mid-sized or medium dogs.
Bull Terrier can cost an average of $1500. You can buy a top-quality Bull Terrier for up to $5000. If one of your options is adoption, there are rescue organizations offering from $150 to $500.
Whichever way you decide, you must know how to properly take care of them and deal with their characteristics.