Are you looking for the best harness for Boston Terriers? Search no more, we understand it can be hard to get the ideal harness among so many options. That is why we’ve prepared this buying guide to help you out.
- Best Harness for Boston Terriers Reviews
- The Most Common Types of Harnesses for Boston Terriers
- Features to Consider When Buying a Harness for your Boston Terrier
- Why Does Your Boston Terrier Need a Harness and Not a Collar?
Best Harness for Boston Terriers Reviews
To arrive at our top 4 choices, we did a lot of research and went through innumerable product reviews. Later on in this guide, we will also discuss all the common types of harnesses, key features you should consider, and answer why your pup needs one.
RabbitGoo Dog Harness
The Rabbitgoo Dog Harness offers optimum performance and comfortability for your little pooch. This easy-to-wear overhead harness consists of nylon oxford material and comes in a classic black color. It is durable and your dog can wear it the whole day as you go for some outdoor fun.
It has 2 adjustable neck straps and 2 adjustable chest straps for a customized fit. To protect your pup’s skin, the Rabbitgoo has a soft cushion. On top of that, it has breathable air mesh and very bright reflective strips, making it more comfortable and safe for outdoor activities.
Additionally, the harness has 2 fast-release buckles for hassle-free wearing and removal. With 2 metal leash rings: one at the chest and the other at the back, it is a no-pull, no-choke harness. While our best overall is the most expensive on the list, it is worth every dime and your puppy will undoubtedly feel comfortable in it.
- Neck Girth measures 13.8″ – 19.3″
- Chest girth measures 15.7″ – 27.6″
- Made of Nylon Oxford
- Padded with a soft cushion
- Has a breathable air mesh
- 2 metal leash rings
- 4 adjustable straps
- Sturdy top handle
- Reflective threads
What We Like
- Fully adjustable to prevent choking or slipping out
- Easy to wear, remove, and clean
- Very safe and comfortable for outdoor activities
- Has no-pull, no-choke features which ensure the safety of your Boston Terrier
- Lightweight and reflective
- Durable, weatherproof, and has a classic style
What We Don’t Like
- Limited color options
- Fairly expensive
- ( 4 Adjustment Points to Fit Right ) - Adjustable dog harness features 4 easy flexible straps to hug...
- ( Shock-Absorption Bungee Straps ) - Safety dog harness features innovative Neck Buffering Straps to...
- ( Versatile Double Leash Clips ) - Non-pulling dog harness provides 2 metal leash attachments to...
Bulox Dog Harness
If you are after a great performance harness yet find the RabbitGoo a little expensive, here is another choice. The Bulox Dog Harness comes in a variety of brilliant colors and trendy patterns. The neck and chest girth for its size XS and S measures should fit right for a Boston Terrier.
This dog vest harness comes with a rugged nylon handle that guarantees unmatched durability. It has an adjustable chest strap with a Snap-on buckle which helps you achieve a snug fit for your tiny companion. For more outdoor safety, especially during the night, it packs reflective straps for optimum visibility.
The Bulox Dog Harness has a D-ring where you connect the leash securely. The general design minimizes pulling, choking, and tugging as you walk along busy streets with your furry canine pet. Though more expensive than the Voyager and RYPET, it offers great value.
- Made of breathable synthetic material
- Stainless steel D-ring
- Reflective stitching
- Comes with a rugged nylon handle
- Adjustable chest strap
- Flashlight position
- Snap-on buckle
- Available in XS and X for a tiny dog
- Neck girth and chest girth fit right
What We Like
- XS and X size are perfect fits for a Boston Terrier
- Adjustable for a customized fit
- Comes in a variety of vibrant colors
- Strong and sturdy leash
- Reflective with a flashlight position for the night
- Design prevents choking, tugging, and pulling.
- Comfortable and breathable
What We Don’t Like
- Only one adjustable strap
- MEDIUM DOG HARNESS: ★Approx Weight: 21-40 lbs. Neck Girth: 16"-20", Chest Girth: 19"-24.5"★. It...
- SUPER COMFORTABLE: Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent pulling and...
- STURDY HANDLE: The rugged nylon handle further enhances your distance from the dog and is more...
Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness
A low budget shouldn’t be an excuse not to get your pooch a worthy harness. The Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness is a favorite among many buyers since it comes with an affordable price tag without sacrificing its functionality. Despite being cost-effective, the harness ensures you have an easy time while interacting with your dog outdoors.
The harness consists of a breathable air mesh which makes it lightweight and extremely comfortable. Each side of the harness has a reflective band to enhance visibility during darker hours. The mesh is suitable for all weather conditions, therefore serves your pup across all seasons.
For safety, Voyager boasts of three safety features, including a hook and loop fastener, buckle, and double D-rings. This harness offers a simple step in, clip, and go wearing process. In comparison, it is affordable than both the Bolux and RabbitGoo harnesses.
- Made of soft, breathable air mesh
- Multiple sizes to choose from
- A reflective band on each side
- Hook & Loop fastener
- Buckle and double heavy-duty metal D-rings
- A three-layer security system
What We Like
- Very secure with a three-layer security system
- Adjustable to fit your Boston Terrier
- Weatherproof and super durable
- Breathable, lightweight, and comfortable for your Boston Terrier
- Comes in a lot of colors to choose from
- Easy to wear, take off, and clean
What We Don’t Like
- Only one single adjustment point which makes it hard to work with if you need flexibility
- Not durable enough due to poor stitching
- ATTENTION: Sizing does NOT directly correspond to your pet's breed or weight. Please MEASURE your...
- ALL WEATHER MESH: Made with a soft, breathable air mesh, this lightweight pet harness is perfect for...
- REFLECTIVE BANDS: Two reflective bands on the sides of this harness enhance your pet’s visibility...
RYPET Small Dog Harness and Leash Set
We have to give this one for its sleek, fashion-forward plaid design. In this RYPET Small Dog Harness and Leash Set, your American Gentleman will be looking dapper. Apart from being in a whole lot of fun colors, it comes with a cute bow tie and a safety bell. The Rypet harness is adjustable and small enough to be used for Boston Terrier puppies.
The harness consists of soft and breathable air mesh fabric. This makes your pup comfortable moving around on hot sunny days. It is also effortlessly adjustable, you just move the metal clip to reduce or increase the chest area. This makes it easy to customize it to your pooch’s size.
The matching leash runs a whole 59 inches, which is more than enough for your control. Its overall style makes it a non-pull and non-choke harness. Compared to the other three, it is more affordable than the Voyager and costs way less than the RabbitGoo and Bulox brands.
- Made of soft, breathable air mesh fabric
- Chest girth measures 9 – 15.5 inches
- 59-inch matching leash
- Cute plaid design
- Matching bowtie and a safe bell
- Strong metal clip for adjusting the fit
- Non-pull and non-choke vest style
What We Like
- Impressive design with a stylish plaid pattern and bowtie
- The safe bell makes locating your Boston Terrier easier in case it runs off
- Comfortable, breathable, and lightweight
- Easy to adjust and just as simple to wear and remove
- The small size seems to be a great fit for your tiny buddy
- The leash complements the harness vest
What We Don’t Like
- It lacks any reflective material
- Not advisable for outdoor activities in the dark.
- Not a lot of room for adjustments
- SIZE: Small - Chest Girth 9"-15.5", matching leash is 59". Please measure size before purchasing....
- BREATHABLE MATERIAL: Made of soft and breathable air mesh fabric, keep your pet soft and comfortbale...
- CUTE DESIGN: Classic plaid design, never out of date. Attached with cute bowtie and safe bell, you...
The Most Common Types of Harnesses for Boston Terriers
The basic function of a harness is to help you effectively control your canine pet. On top of that, it supports your pup’s posture as they walk or run by distributing weight evenly. We recommend a harness instead of a collar for Bostons because they are susceptible to breathing issues.
The most common types of harnesses include:
Most dog owners love Harness lead for its one size fits all feature. If your Boston terrier is an active chewer and very playful, a harness lead is great for them. It wraps around your pup’s back and chest and has a metal hook and rubber stoppers for security.
A harness lead makes it almost impossible for your dog to escape and is chew-resistant.
As the name suggests, the no-pull harness keeps your pup from pulling too hard. Some have a ring on the chest to help change your dog’s position. Others slightly tighten on your Boston when it pulls aggressively.
Like the harness leads, a no-pull harness is great to give you more control over your pet.
Exercise is essential for a Boston Terrier. One of the ways you can achieve their daily exercise goal is hiking. That is where a hiking harness comes in. Such a harness often consists of light, breathable fabric with soft padding around the neck and chest area.
Moreover, it has a sturdy handle for control and reflective stitching or patches for maximum visibility on gloomy mornings or evenings.
Although Bostons are tiny, they have a lot of energy and are very active. It might be okay to put them in the back seat and drive off, however, it is not as simple if it’s all over the space. This is where a car harness comes in handy.
A car harness goes tethered to the seat belt and securely holds your pup in place.
When you want to take your pup for a stroll, you don’t have to necessarily put them on a tight leash. In that case, you need a walking harness. It is lightweight and has minimum padding since your Boston Terrier will only wear it for a short time.
Normally, it is strappy with plastic buckles that make it super easy to put on and take off.
Features to Consider When Buying a Harness for your Boston Terrier
Now that you know the type of harnesses commonly available, here are some features to watch out for when a dog harness. By the end of the day, you know your Boston Terrier best. Consequently, to get its perfect fit, you need to consider the following in a harness.
Terriers are flat-nosed and susceptible to brachycephalic syndrome. For that reason, the ideal harness for them is one that distributes weight away from the neck. That way you avoid triggering any respiratory complications for your Boston Terrier.
The harness should distribute weight to the back and chest, ultimately supporting their spine and improving their posture.
This breed is tiny and close to the ground. Anyway, that doesn’t stop a Boston from pulling, specifically when something gets their attention. As it pulls away from you, trying to forcefully pull it back can affect them negatively.
This is why a harness should have a no-pull feature to help keep it in line and at sight. In the long run, the harness might aid rectify your pup’s pulling tendencies.
A breathable, lightweight harness is a necessity in hot weather. Due to their short snouts, these dogs are unable to efficiently cool down during such times. This makes it better not to add a heavy harness on them as that only makes it overheat more.
Any harness that consists of air mesh or straps is a commendable choice.
If you intend to get your pooch a harness that it will only wear for a short while, you can overlook the padding. If that’s not the case, you need to get a model well padded with soft material. Bostons lack an undercoat and only have a thin, slick coat.
Because of that, they are very sensitive to irritations and rubbing.
A lightly padded harness can make them very uncomfortable, especially if worn for a long period; like a whole day.
A harness with a back handle makes a great car harness. Therefore, you can look for this feature when buying if you intend to use it in such a way. Rear handles also come in handy when you need to hurriedly pick up your canine pet.
As you are out on walks or hikes, your Boston Terrier might run into danger in which case, you will need to act fast. This is where a back handle comes in handy.
Why Does Your Boston Terrier Need a Harness and Not a Collar?
Boston terriers suffer from respiratory issues in addition to spinal problems. As a result, you need to avoid any condition or item that might make them worse. Unlike a collar, a harness distributes the dog’s weight away from the neck and to the chest and back which immensely helps the situation.
A good harness ensures your pup is safe and secure yet comfortable and free. It helps control your dog easily and offers no-pull, no-choke, and no-tug features. Such features can’t be in a single collar around their necks.
Bostons are impeccable family dogs and they love to socialize with people and other dogs. They can also be territorial when they feel threatened. Get them a harness to enable them to live their best playful lives as you control with ease. Talk about a win-win situation!
We hope you found this guide useful. Your pooch deserves a good harness and by following what we have discussed, you have choices now. Make your playtime hassle-free and more fun!