Looking for the best food for a Yorkshire terrier can be difficult since there are a lot of varieties you can get in the market. Still, it is vital to be crucial in picking the right food for Yorkshire terriers since their diet is the main factor that will reflect on their health so we’re here to help!
- Our Top Yorkshire Terrier Food Reviews
- Features to Consider for Best Food for a Yorkshire Terrier
- Health Factors in Choosing Food for Yorkshire Terriers
Our Top Yorkshire Terrier Food Reviews
There are different kinds of dog food on the market for Yorkshire terriers. However, there are few ones that will fit the best when it comes to the choice of ingredients that they offer in account of the specific needs of Yorkshire terriers. Here is the best food for Yorkshire terriers that will fit their needs!
Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food for Small Breeds
If you are looking for the best overall food for a Yorkshire terrier, the Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food for Small Breeds is up for the job.
Hill’s Wet Dog Food is specifically designed for adult small breeds like the Yorkshire terrier. This wet dog food prides itself on its intricate formula that is easy to digest–which can be a game-changer for Yorkshire terriers’ sensitive stomachs.
Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food is the only wet dog food on the list. Wet food, unlike dry dog food like Canidae All Life Stages Premium and IAMS Small Adult Breed, provides additional hydration for Yorkshire terriers.
You can also mix it with other food diets for Yorkshire terriers like dry dog food and mixed veggies that are safe for their consumption.
Compared to IAMS Dry Dog Food, Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food provides additional nutrition that promotes strong bones and better dental health for Yorkshire terriers. However, additional nutrients such as antioxidants and omega 6 are not present in Hill’s Science.
Despite that, its high-quality protein formula helps Yorkshire terriers to have a lean body and strong muscles without too much fat and calories, perfect for Yorkshire terriers who need to lose extra weight.
- Have ingredients that are high in protein but low in fat and calories for Yorkshire terriers who need to cut the extra weight.
- Provides extra hydration for Yorkshire terriers as well as better digestion.
- Its variety of flavors had a chicken and barley flavor which can trigger allergies for dogs with sensitive skin.
- No additional vitamins and minerals for the heart, kidney, and digestive system for Yorkshire terriers.
- High-quality protein to help your adult dog build and maintain lean muscle
- Made with purposeful, easily digestible ingredients your grown dog will love
- Use this food as a yummy dry topper or full meal. Caloric content:166 kcal / 5.8 oz (165 g) can. Mix...
Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food
The Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food bags are the best Yorkshire terrier food for the money due to the variety of benefits and vitamins it provides, all for an affordable price!
Canidae Dry Dog Food offers the best varieties of food ingredients that provide the right amount of protein and nutrients for your Yorkshire terrier.
Canidae have different variants of their all life stages premium dry dog food to accommodate Yorkshire terrier’s specific needs from lamb up to fish meals compared to IAMS Small Breed Dry Dog food that only offers chicken for its protein-source.
Compared to Hill’s Wet Dog Food, Canidae comes with additional nutrients such as probiotics for healthy digestion, omega 6 and 3 for healthy skin and coat, as well as antioxidants for a healthy immune system against common diseases.
Canidae also uses whole grains in their formula which can give additional carbohydrates and nutrients.
However, grains are known to cause and trigger skin allergies for Yorkshire terriers with sensitive skin so make sure that your Yorkshire terriers do not have skin problems before feeding them Canidae Premium Dry Dog Food.
- Can accommodate different dog breeds and ages which is perfect for Yorkie families living with more than one dog breed.
- Offers different varieties of flavor and a source of protein for dogs with sensitive skin and stomach.
- Comes with added nutrition such as probiotics for digestion, omega 6 and 3 for the coat, and antioxidants for immunity.
- Designed for different kinds of dog breeds which can compromise the quality of the kibbles especially for small breeds like Yorkshire terriers.
- Uses grains in their formula which can trigger allergies for Yorkshire terriers.
- Contains 1- 44 Lb. Bag of Canidae All Life Stages Multi-Protein Formula Chicken, Turkey and Lamb...
- Nutritionally dense kibble that nourishes in every bite, crafted with chicken, turkey and lamb along...
- Complete and balanced goodness for all ages, breeds and sizes. One bag to feed them all, perfect for...
IAMS Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for a more affordable option for your Yorkshire terrier’s food, the IAMS Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food is your to-go dry food! The IAMS Small Breed Dry Dog Food is specifically formulated to accommodate small toy dog breeds like Yorkshire terriers for more convenient and easy-to-nibble kibbles.
Unlike Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food, IAMS Dry Dog Food offers different kinds of nutrients in their formula such as muscle-building nutrients for lean muscle and strong bones as well as antioxidants that support the Yorkshire terrier’s immune system against diseases, all for a budget-friendly price!
Compared to Orijen Dry Dog Food which offers a variety of protein sources and flavors in their formula, IAMS Dry Dog Food only offers their high-quality kibbles with chicken as the main source of protein and flavor which can trigger skin allergies for Yorkshire terriers with sensitive skin.
- Specifically designed for small, toy dog breeds like Yorkshire terriers, that reflects on their easy-to-nibble kibbles.
- Contains various necessary nutrients such as muscle-building nutrients for lean muscles and strong bones, antioxidants for immune system boost, and omega 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and fur.
- Can be mixed with wet dog food for added nutrition and flavor.
- Limited to one flavor which can be challenging for owners with picky-eating Yorkshire terriers.
- Contains real chicken as its main source of protein and flavor which is considered an irritant for dogs with skin allergies or sensitive skin.
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. bag of IAMS Small & Toy Breed Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken
- Promotes skin and coat health with omega-6 fatty acids
Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Dog Food
If you are specifically searching for a Yorkshire terrier puppy food, you should consider Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Dog Food for your puppy’s diet! Blue Buffalo’s amazing natural ingredient feature reflects the most on their puppy dry dog food that can be a game-changer for your growing puppy’s dietary needs!
Unlike Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food and IAMS Dry Dog Food which have their formula designed for adult Yorkshire terriers, Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Dog Food is designed for puppies ’ growing and developing bodies and minds. With that, the nutrients like DHA and ARA found in mother’s milk are included in Blue Buffalo’s formula.
Moreover, the natural ingredient and the real meat source in Blue Buffalo accommodate sensitive stomachs and skin, unlike IAMS Dry Dog Food that only offers chicken as a protein source. Blue Buffalo contains no poultry products and no grain products in their formula–perfect for sensitive puppies and growing Yorkshire terriers!
- Specifically designed for Yorkshire terrier and other small breed puppies with kibbles that fit best in their small and growing jaws.
- Contains DHA and ARA best for growing puppies to support cognitive function and retinal health.
- Made with natural ingredients with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for strong bones, lean muscles, and a stronger immune system for sensitive stomachs.
- Specifically designed for Yorkshire terrier puppies and does not provide adequate protein and nutrients for adult dogs.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality...
- FOR PUPPY DOGS: Specially formulated for puppies, BLUE Life Protection Formula Puppy Food contains...
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully...
Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food
Senior Yorkshire terriers needed a more specific and refined diet for their needs. For that, fits best for senior Yorkshire terriers. The Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food offers natural and whole ingredients to accommodate a senior dog’s sensitive stomach and body systems.
Compared to Hill’s and Canidae Dog Food, Orijen Senior offers a more intricate diet formulation with 85% protein ingredient which makes up for the loss of muscle mass due to aging.
Also, the Orijen features a Wholeprey diet providing the most nutrient-dense parts of the prey and meat ingredients, unlike IAMS dry dog food that only offers chicken as a meat source.
Orijen Dry Dog Foods’ ingredients include fresh meat and protein sources like chicken, turkey, fish, and eggs, allowing their formula to be protein-rich yet balanced enough for a senior Yorkshire terrier’s needs and consumption.
Just make sure that your senior Yorkie does not suffer from skin allergies since chicken and eggs can trigger sensitive skin.
- The formula is specifically designed to address the main dietary concerns of senior dogs.
- The 85% protein ingredient provides an adequate protein diet for senior dogs which usually suffer muscle mass loss due as they age.
- The whole, natural, and fresh ingredients are perfect for the sensitive stomach and body system of senior dogs.
- Only accommodates senior dogs, not suitable for puppies and adults due to the high-protein, fewer vitamins and minerals content.
- Uses chicken and eggs for protein sources which can trigger skin allergies and irritation for dogs with sensitive skin.
- Does not provide additional nutrients and vitamins to boost senior dogs’ immunity and main body systems.
- ORIJEN Senior dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from...
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological...
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the...
Features to Consider for Best Food for a Yorkshire Terrier
Yorkshire terriers are a small and gentle breed known for their size and sensitive body systems. With that, it is best to consider different factors and things that their diet should consist of before choosing the food that will better fit their body’s needs.
Here are the factors that you need to look for in your Yorkshire terrier’s food!
There are two different types of dog food on the market, wet and dry. This can be a game-changer when it comes to your Yorkshire terrier’s diet. Thus, it is equally important to consider what are the differences between wet and dry food before choosing the appropriate food for your Yorkshire terrier.
Wet Dog Food for Yorkshire Terriers
Wet dog food is characterized by its wet and soft texture that can be more appetizing and easier to eat compared to dry and hard kibbles. However, wet dog food has a higher water content than dry ones which can give more hydration to Yorkshire terriers.
Still, given that wet dog food has significantly higher water content, it must be fed twice or thrice the amount compared to dry dog food to meet the same nutrient and caloric value which is not very cost-friendly for owners.
Dry Dog Food for Yorkshire Terriers
Dry dog food is specifically designed to meet the nutrient and caloric needs of Yorkshire terriers through dry and hard nutrient-infused kibbles that are crunchy in texture. Since it has a lower water content, it should always be coupled with fresh and clean water during consumption.
While dry dog food is convenient and more affordable compared to wet ones, picky-eaters can easily get tired of eating hard and dry kibbles every day which can ruin their diet. However, there are different flavors and varieties of dry dog food that brands like Canidae Premium offer to address these kinds of problems.
Moreover, eating hard kibbles can help with a Yorkshire terrier’s dental health since it can strengthen their jaw muscles and teeth in the long run.
There are various types and kinds of ingredients that can cause harmful effects for your Yorkshire terrier, which is why it is important to consider the main ingredients used in their diet and food. Some Yorkshire terriers suffer from diseases that might react differently to specific food and meat incorporated in dog foods.
Here is a list of food ingredients that are unsafe for Yorkshire terriers to eat:
- Fatty foods
- Tea leaves
For instance, dog foods with grain and chicken and poultry ingredients can cause allergic reactions for dogs with sensitive skin.
For Yorkshire terriers with sensitive skin, Hill’s Science Diet Wet Food for adults, Blue Buffalo Dry Dog Food for puppies, and Orijen Dry Dog Food for seniors are the grain-free dog food you can buy.
Food variations are also important when it comes to feeding Yorkshire terriers. Some Yorkshire terriers can be a handful when it comes to food-feeding since they can be picky eaters. With that, it is highly advisable to provide different flavors and varieties of food for them to be excited during mealtime.
Look for Yorkshire terrier foods with different kinds of variations like Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food and Canidae Premium Dry Dog Food that offers more than one flavor in their dog food. That way, pick-eating Yorkshire terriers won’t have any problems with their daily diet.
Yorkshire terriers are small, toy dog breeds and they need a specific kibble size that will fit their needs. Big kibbles can be hard to chew for Yorkshire terriers, especially if they are puppies and seniors that have small or weak jaws for chewing.
Their food digestion and consumption will gradually be compromised. Unlike bigger breeds like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier can serve big kibbles or treats to chew.
Thus, look for appropriate dog food for small breeds that will fit with Yorkshire terriers. IAMS Small Breed Dog Food is specifically designed for small breed dogs. Wet dog foods like Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food also fit the best for Yorkshire terriers who have weak jaws and dental problems for easier consumption.
On the other hand, puppy and senior dog foods like Blue Buffalo and Orijen accommodate puppies and seniors’ small and weak jaws in their small and easy-to-eat kibbles.
Dog foods for Yorkshire terriers usually provide more than natural nutrients from their long list of ingredients. Additional vitamins and minerals are also necessary to ensure that Yorkshire terriers are provided with all their needs.
For instance, Hill’s Science Wet Dog Food provides additional vitamins and minerals for easier digestion that will fit best for Yorkshire terriers with sensitive digestive systems. On the other hand, AIMS Small Breed and Canidae Premium Dry Dog Food have probiotics, antioxidants, and omega 6 for immunity.
In addition to that, dog foods for puppies like Blue Buffalo Puppy Dog Food also include DHA and ARA for cognitive development as well as bone-building nutrients for growing bones and muscles. Additional nutrients complete the Yorkshire terrier’s specific needs for holistic development and protection.
Health Factors in Choosing Food for Yorkshire Terriers
There are several health factors to consider before choosing food for Yorkshire terriers. A Yorkie’s diet is an integral part of their health. Because it is the one that gives most of the nutrients that their bodies need.
Feeding them food without consulting their specific health needs can be dangerous and harmful for them in the long run.
Sensitive skin and skin allergies are the easiest problems that can be affected by the Yorkshire terrier’s diet. For instance, choosing food with grains and poultry products like eggs and chicken meat can trigger allergies and skin irritants. If your Yorkshire terrier has sensitive skin, be wary of these food ingredients that come in their food.
Age and Life Stage
Yorkshire terrier’s needs can change through time. During their early stages of 3-11 months, make sure to give them the appropriate food that will fit best with their needs. For instance, Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Dog Food offers smaller kibbles.
It’s adequate for a puppy’s small and weak jaws along with DHA and ARA for cognitive development.
On the other hand, senior Yorkshire terriers also need specialized food that will meet their daily dietary needs. Senior dogs need more protein in their diet due to their loss of muscle mass as they age. Thus, dog food like Orijen Senior specifically designed for old dogs is vital to maintain their health.
Digestive and Immune System
Yorkshire terriers are known for their sensitive stomach and body that are vulnerable to diseases.
Thus, choosing the right food that will provide them with additional nutrients like probiotics for their digestive system, and antioxidants, as well as omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for the immune system and healthy skin, will give extra protection against common complications.
With that, dog foods like Canidae Premium Dog Food and IAMS Small Breed Dog Food that provide additional nutrients for immunity boost and digestive health will be beneficial for their overall health in the long run.
Choosing the best food for a Yorkshire terrier should not be difficult! Here is the best food for Yorkshire terrier’s different dietary needs. Compare the best food that will provide the appropriate nutrients and protein for your Yorkshire terriers.
|Brand||Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food for Small Breeds||Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food||IAMS Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food||Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Dog Food||Orijen Senior Dry Dog Food|
|Age appropriation||Adult||All age and stages||Adult||Puppy||Senior|
|Main Ingredients||Chicken, Beef, Barley, and Vegetables||Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, and Fish||Chicken and eggs||Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb, and Oatmeal||Chicken, Turkey, Flounder, Whole Mackerel, Turkey Giblets|