Many of us consider our dogs to be our best companions, but we don’t always know how or what to feed them. It’s not as simple as it appears to properly feed a dog. With so many different types of dog food on the market, deciding which is the best dog food for American pit bull terriers can be difficult.
You must provide your dog with sufficient nutrition that is tailored to their specific requirements.
- Our Top Dog Food For American Pit Bull Terrier Reviews
- Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Dog Food for American Pit Bull Terrier
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Dog Food For American Pit Bull Terrier Reviews
To grow, the American Pit Bull Terrier requires a high-performance meal that is well-balanced and nutritionally complete. We will look at the best dog food for American Pit Bull Terrier in this guide. To give you our top choices, we compared ingredient quality, nutritional information, and value for money.
ZIWIPeak Air-Dried Dog Food
The ZIWIPeak Air-Dried Dog Food is a raw dog food that is air-dried and created with high-quality ingredients. All of their meat is sourced from sustainable or ethical slaughtering, and their beef and venison are free-range.
The recipes contain no fillers, are grain-free, and include a healthy mix of muscle and internal organs to level up your dog’s protein diet. There are no peas, legumes, cereals, maize, soy, potatoes, wheat, rice, fillers, or preservatives in ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Food.
The proteins in ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Food have undergone a special air-drying process that preserves the nutritional content of the ingredients while also removing all dangerous germs. Green-lipped mussels are an important part of this diet because they provide the glucosamine and chondroitin that active breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier require for joint health.
One of the nicest aspects of this food is that it transforms nutritious but foul-smelling foods into easy-to-portion dry food. However, because this food is pre-mixed and dried, the smell isn’t overpowering, and dogs adore it. The only drawback about this dog food is the price.
- There is no plant protein in the top ingredients.
- Organic Minerals are used to improve absorption.
- There are no allergenic ingredients.
- It is highly expensive compared to taste of the world food dog which is highly affordable.
- In contrast to Canidae PURE, which contains probiotics and antioxidants to assist digestive and immune health, there are no probiotics in this dog food to aid digestion.
- HIGH PROTEIN, NUTRIENT DENSE: Authentic whole-prey ratios, featuring 96% free-range Lamb, Organs,...
- GRAIN-FREE, LOW CARB: Limited Ingredient (L.I.D) premium dog food without added carbohydrates, ideal...
- 10% SUPERFOOD BOOST: Cold-washed Green Tripe, New Zealand Green Mussels, and Organic Kelp; holistic...
This Canidae PURE is frequently recognized as one of the best dog diets for American Pit Bull Terriers currently available. This diet is made up of a very small number of foods, each of which is chosen for its excellent nutritional content and ease of digestion.
Salmon, a lean and tasty meal that stimulates the American Pit Bull Terrier to eat with pleasure, is the core of this great diet. In this breed known for skin sensitivity, the essential fatty acid concentration present in this powerhouse protein is sufficient to provide important assistance with coat and skin health.
Gluten, cereals, wheat, and soy are all absent from Canidae PURE. Probiotics have been included in this meal to help the American Pit Bull Terrier handle fluids more efficiently. One of the best dog diets for dogs with sensitive stomachs is Canidae PURE Grain-Free Limited Ingredient.
This Canidae PURE limited ingredient formula contains high-quality protein to help your dog build strong muscles. It is made with actual salmon and salmon meal. A little goes a long way with this protein-rich snack. This composition gives dogs the feeling of being fuller for extended periods of time.
The Canidae PUREs only major disadvantage is its total cost. You may find it difficult to justify the expense because it is higher than many other dog foods but it’s affordable compared to ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Food.
- With Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and a lovely coat
- It contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which enhance joint health
- In comparison to ZiwiPeak Air-Dried dog food, which contains no probiotics, this dog food contains probiotics and antioxidants to assist promote digestive and immune health
- Kibble size may be insufficient.
- It has a very pungent odor.
- Contains 1- 24 Lb. Bag of Canidae PURE Salmon and Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Real food ingredients for the taste your dog will love. Crafted with real salmon as the first...
- Complete and balanced goodness for adult dogs. This recipe is made using 10 or fewer key ingredients...
Taste of the Wild
For a variety of reasons, the Taste of the Wild is an excellent choice for your American Pitbull Terrier. It is high in high-quality animal protein derived from unusual sources such as salmon and ocean fish.
With its protein-rich mix, this smoked salmon meal recipe from Taste of the Wild helps the preservation of healthy and lean muscle. Though nutritious grains like quinoa and millet are used as a secondary source of protein in this salmon dog food, it avoids more allergenic grains like wheat, corn, and soy.
With vitamin additions for balance and dried fermentation products for probiotic support, this formula is enriched with chelated minerals to guarantee maximum nutrient absorption. Overall, it’s a healthful, high-quality recipe with plenty of natural taste.
Lentils and peas provide additional protein, giving this diet a crude protein content of 25%, making it high-protein dog food. Sweet potatoes and potatoes are also incorporated, as are prominent items such as raspberries, which provide additional antioxidants.
This food is especially high in nutrition because it contains vitamin A and E supplements, which can help the dog’s vision, heart health, and immune system. Acidophilus is also contained, which is good for a dog’s digestion.
The sole disadvantage is that, unlike well-known brands, Taste of the Wild dog chow may not be available in all places. This is inconvenient for those who want to give this formula a try with their dogs.
- Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid levels are high
- Antioxidant-rich source
- This product has more probiotics than ZiwiPeak Air-Dried dog food, which contains none for increased digestion support
- For some dogs, high-protein diets might induce heart problems
- Unlike ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Food, which contains no plant protein, this dog food contains Plant-based lipids, which are the first source of fat and may include more crude protein than ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Food
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with SMOKE-FLAVORED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the #1...
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from SUPERFOODS; omega fatty...
- Each serving includes high levels of species-specific, K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus...
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
The Blue Buffalo Wilderness is a high-quality formula based on chicken and chicken meals that provides a generous amount of amino acids to promote a healthy body in active breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Grain-Free is frequently cited as one of the best dog foods for American Pit Bull Terriers because it incorporates antioxidant and fiber-rich fruits and vegetables into its mix to promote healthy digestion and a robust immune system in dogs. Essential fatty acids are incorporated in large amounts to help this sensitive breed’s coat and skin health.
This formula has been enhanced with LifeSource Bits to help the American Pit Bull Terrier’s general wellness. LifeSource Bits is a combination of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that support the immune system, life stage needs, and a healthy oxidative balance. To ensure that nutrients are retained, these parts are cold-formed.
Peas, tapioca starch, potatoes, and sweet potatoes are among the healthier carbohydrate sources in this grain-free meal. It also contains high-fiber plant-based nutrients including flaxseed and dried tomato pomace. Fiber aids in the movement of food through the digestive tract. The only drawback is that it contains higher levels of vitamin D than are specified.
- The Buffalo Wilderness High Protein is made with fresh, high-quality ingredients that give it a great taste.
- The little kibbles make chewing and swallowing easier for puppies.
- You’ll also benefit from the fact that this product is exceptionally mild on your puppy’s digestive tract.
- Other products like Canidae PURE and taste of the wild offer probiotics, however this one does not.
- Unfortunately, Blue Wilderness dog food contains artificial colors, but other dog food varieties, such as Zignature do not.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: Made to feed your feline's wild side, this high protein cat food is packed...
- GRAIN FREE CAT FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult cat food is made with healthy carbohydrates...
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of...
The Zignature is the best food for allergy-prone American pit bull terriers. This is because American Pitbull Terriers are prone to food allergies, so you should consider feeding your dog a special allergy-prevention recipe.
For a variety of reasons, this Zignature Duck Formula Limited Ingredient Dry Food is an excellent choice. First and foremost, it comprises a small number of primary ingredients, lowering the likelihood of allergies and sensitivities being triggered.
Second, it has a single source of new protein, duck, which accounts for 27 percent of the total protein. This recipe is grain-free and made with easily digestible carbs such as chickpeas and peas, as well as plenty of healthy fats and natural fibers to aid digestion. Fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as chelated minerals, are included.
It’s made using high-quality ingredients and only uses Duck as a meat source. It contains a variety of legumes, which are high-quality carbohydrate sources. Despite being above average, we believe this dog food’s carbohydrate content is too high.
Another disadvantage is that it is more expensive than Taste of the Wild dog food, although this is compensated by the ingredients it contains.
- Essential minerals and fatty acids are found in this product.
- Encourages low-glycemic nutrition, which helps to regulate blood sugar levels and may aid weight loss.
- Carbohydrate proportion is too high in this dog food compared to the other brands
- Pea flour is used in this meal
- Made with high-quality Turkey as the first ingredient which is high in protein.
- Limited ingredient formula
- Rotational diet designed to allow your dog to switch between select Zignature formuals with ease.
Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Dog Food for American Pit Bull Terrier
Here’s a quick rundown of what you should look for in the best dog food for the American Pit Bull Terrier.
|Type of Food||Brand||Supplements|
|ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Food||Pellet||ZIWIPEAK||Glucosamine and Chondroitin|
|Canidae PURE||Dry||CANIDAE||Probiotics and Antioxidants|
|Taste of the Wild||Dry||Taste of the Wild||Probiotics and Antioxidants|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness||Dry||Blue Buffalo||Antioxidants|
The American Pit Bull Terrier, a genuine athlete with boundless energy, demands a diet rich in lean meat to maintain optimal health and fitness. This robust breed’s diet should consist primarily of whole meats or meat meals.
By-products and plant proteins in the diet are insufficient to power this active breed’s daily activities, and they may cause an allergic reaction in this skin-sensitive breed. These foods should be avoided at all costs.
Over the course of their lives, dogs require a variety of nutrients in varying amounts. To grow, high-drive dogs like the American Pit Bull Terrier require a high-quality diet rich in lean meat. The ideal foundation for this energetic breed is whole meats or meat dishes.
By-products and plant proteins like soy, corn, and wheat are nutritionally ineffective and can cause allergies in many dogs. Because the American Pit Bull Terrier is prone to allergies, these types of diets should be avoided.
The essential fatty acids required for excellent coat and skin health are found in healthy fats, which are a crucial part of the American Pit Bull Terrier’s diet. These fats can be found in foods like oily fish and chicken fat, as well as plant-based oils including canola, coconut, safflower, and sunflower.
Carbohydrates are high in antioxidants and dietary fiber, which benefit the American Pit Bull Terrier’s digestion and immune system. Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are all good sources of carbs. Grain-intolerant dogs may benefit from a grain-free diet.
Type of Food
It can be tough to determine which sort of dog food is ideal for Pitbulls. Each has its own set of advantages. When it comes to texture, dry dog food is easier to adjust because you may add toppers for a delightful treat. Additionally, dry dog food has a gritty texture that is good for your dog’s teeth health.
As many people would agree, dry dog food is the most cost-effective option. Though inexpensive does not always imply inferior, many dry dog foods have a denser supply of protein due to the addition of protein meal.
When it comes to picky dogs, wet dog food is certainly easier, as the texture is typically favored. Wet food is also an excellent method to add moisture to your dog’s diet, keeping them hydrated and minimizing the chance of itchy skin. Furthermore, if you want to add a crunch texture to your dry dog food, wet dog food can be readily blended in. Wet food, on the other hand, is frequently the more expensive option.
When it comes to choosing the finest dog food for Pitbulls, there is no right or wrong answer; it’s simply a matter of getting to know your dog. Because of their still-developing teeth, pitbull puppies may benefit more from a moist diet. However, once kids reach adulthood, they will have established taste and texture preferences, which you can cater to in any way you see fit.
Dry dog food, on the other hand, is easy to monitor and measure if you have a performing pitbull.
Avoid Chemicals, Flavorings, and Fillers
Chemicals, fillers, artificial flavorings and colorings, and unknown components aren’t good for an American Pit Bull Terrier’s nutrition. Diets containing any of these ingredients should be avoided.
Probiotics and Other Beneficial
Supplements assist a food in performing at its best. Glucosamine, chondroitin, prebiotics, and probiotics are the most beneficial supplements for the American Pit Bull Terrier.
AAFCO Nutritional Standards or Certification
The AAFCO stamp of approval should be found on all foods suitable for the American Pit Bull Terrier, indicating that they meet the requirements for a full and balanced diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Ideal Amount of Food for an American Pitbull Terrier?
The amount of food you give your American Pitbull Terrier depends on his weight, which can range from 30 to 60 pounds. In general, however, depending on the calorie content of the food you choose, you should expect to give him between 3 and 5 cups per day. Following the feeding instructions on the packaging for his age and body weight is the best approach to knowing how much to feed your dog.
If your dog is over 50 pounds, you should consider feeding him a large-breed dog chow to ensure he gets all of the nutrients he needs.
How Often Should I Feed My American Pitbull Terrier Throughout the Day?
The American Pitbull Terrier is a cross between a medium and a large-breed dog, but dogs in both categories benefit from two meals per day. A modest third meal or a snack between meals may be appropriate if your dog is especially active or you train him for dog sports. You should also feed puppies three times a day to ensure that they have enough energy to support their growth and development.
How Can I Tell if My Dog Is Allergic to an Ingredient?
There are various indicators that your dog is having a negative reaction to new dog food. Excessive licking, shedding, scratching, and itching, as well as vomiting and diarrhea, are all common symptoms. Changing your dog’s food or diet may help, but if your dog’s unhealthy behavior or symptoms persist, you should visit your veterinarian.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the best dog food for American pit bull terriers. However, we suggest consulting with your veterinarian before adding any new foods to your Pit Bull’s diet. Your veterinarian can help you understand any health issues your Pit Bull may be experiencing and prescribe a dog food that will best support their particular health needs.