Yorkshire Terriers are widely known for their flowing coats of long hair that necessitate regular brushing. Taking the time to groom your Yorkie can save you from dealing with tangled hair and even parasites. It is essential to find the best brush for your Yorkshire terrier for effective grooming.
- My Top 4 Brushes for Yorkshire Terriers [2021 Review]
- Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Brush for Your Yorkie
- What Are the Benefits of Brushing My Yorkie?
- Frequently Asked Questions
My Top 4 Brushes for Yorkshire Terriers [2021 Review]
Finding the right brush for your Yorkie can be an uphill task, especially if you are a first-time dog owner. In this article, you will find my top selections for the best brush for your canine companion. The information will save you time and help you make the best decision.
Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush For Dogs (20mm)
The Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush For Dogs is one of the best grooming brushes available in the market. The brush is perfect for Yorkies with long or medium hair and curly hair. It has a strong and highly durable design with polished tips. If you do not have a slicker brush.
The durable pins ensure continuous brush use and minimize falling off the cushion. Despite the durability, it is remarkably light and solid. The brush has polished tips that are less harsher to the Yorkie’s skin, unlike the Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush which lacks polished pin tips.
The pins can move through the coat smoothly, preventing any discomfort. The pins are also highly effective in preventing the tangling and knotting of the dog’s hair. It, therefore, has the edge over the BioSilk Eco-Friendly Boar Hair Bristle Brush, which does not perform a great job in detangling hair.
- It has a soft pin cushion that ensures the pins do not sink or bend.
- It features stainless steel pins with polished tips; they are also well spaced on the brush providing an excellent finish in removing tangles leaving the coat smooth.
- It lasts for many years.
- The brush may feel stiff when you first use it.
- The pricing may put off some people.
Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
The Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush is a high-quality combo of a bristle brush and a pin brush at a very pocket-friendly price. It would be best not to mistake its fair price for low quality or performance. It has stainless steel pins with rounded tips.
The brush also has dense bristles on the other sides, which helps detangle your Yorkies hair without excess pulling on the hair. It also helps loosen the dead fur and keep the Yorkie’s coat still shining bright as ever.
The brush also has a strong rubber handle. It has a convenient mold, ensuring a comfortable and firm grip. You can groom your Yorkie for an extended period and experience less fatigue and discomfort. Professional groomers develop this brush.
- It is cheaper than other brushes such as the Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush and BioSilk Eco-Friendly Boar Hair Bristle Brush which can be expensive.
- It is a high-quality brush and can be used for a long time.
- It has a high ease of use, in contrast to the Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush, which may feel stiff initially, making it a great daily brush.
- The handle can be easily chewed and destroyed by your Yorkie.
- It can be less relaxing for your dog.
ConairPRO Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush
The ConairPRO Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush utilizes palm petting grip technology which allows brushing your short-haired Yorkie or puppy in a motion that is quite similar to petting. It ia also the cheapest brush on this list. The brush has thick bristles, ideal for Yorkies with short coats. It can stimulate and increase blood flow.
The brush is better suited for Yorkies with short coats than the Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush, which is more apt for dogs with longer coats. However, it is more prone to damage.
The brush has a memory foam grip on the handle to ensure comfort and high ease of use. The pins are also rounded with plastic at the ends to make the experience more comfortable for your Yorkie. However, the pins may start to sag after multiple uses compared to other brushes.
- The brush is small and can be handled and used more efficiently than the Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush which is bigger and harder to use.
- It has rounded tips that are more comfortable to use on the dog. It is more ideal for pets with short coats.
- It has a great and firm grip that offers excellent comfort and ease when used.
- The bristles help to stimulate blood flow and massage your dog.
- Your Yorkie can easily damage the handle if it chews down on it.
- The pins may sink back into the cushion after multiple uses.
BioSilk Eco-Friendly Boar Hair Bristle Brush
A BioSilk Eco-Friendly Boar Hair Bristle Brush is an excellent choice for those who are more concerned with the environment and prefer more eco-friendly alternatives. The plant-based materials, which are friendlier to the environment than the materials used to manufacture the other brushes, are responsibly sourced.
The brush also utilizes a unique flex technology that helps shape your Yorkie’s body while grooming it. You can now reach those stubborn and difficult spots more effortlessly than ever before. At the same time, it evenly distributes your Yorkie’s natural oils on its skin giving it a healthy glow.
It can be an excellent choice for Yorkies with sensitive skin since it is flexible and gentle, preventing any injuries as you groom your dog. You wil not find it challenging to use this brush; you and your dog will enjoy the experience.
- It is an eco-friendly brush made from plant-based materials that are safe for the environment and your dog.
- Great for Yorkies with sensitive skin, unlike the Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush which can be a bit uncomfortable for your Yorkie.
- It has sparse boar bristles that are highly effective in cleaning.
- It may be more expensive in comparison with other bristle brushes.
- Bristles are not very effective in detangling heavily matted areas.
Features to Consider When Selecting the Best Brush for Your Yorkie
When looking for the best brush for your Yorkie, you may find it challenging to select the best from all the available options. Therefore, it is essential to comprehend what to consider when looking out for when making your choice and ensure you make the right choice.
Choosing the right brush is critical for maximizing the benefits of brushing and avoiding damaging the hair and wasting money.
Check Your Yorkie’s Coat Type
The type of coat your Yorkie has will highly influence the kind of brush that you will need. A gentle bristle brush is often required for Yorkies with a short-cut coat. It stimulates the hair follicles and removes any dirt and residue present.
For Yorkies with medium or long coats, using more than a single tool may prove to be necessary. The essential tools are the pin grooming brush and the steel comb. The tips of the pin brush have wider gaps that effectively prevent snagging and coat pulling.
Check the Dog Brush Size
You must select the right brush size for your Yorkie. As Yorkies are generally small, the brush size chosen should be aptly suitable for their bodies. Using a smaller brush can be more effective in grooming hard-to-reach areas than larger brushes.
Quality of the Brush
Although better quality often means you may have to pay a little extra, it is essential to invest in brushes of high quality. The investment eventually pays off in the long run as you will most likely save a pretty penny as you won’t have to buy brushes repeatedly.
The high-quality brushes will also last longer. They are an excellent value for your money in terms of performance. The brushes will be more effective and more comfortable for your dog.
Select an Ergonomic Brush Handle
It is essential to use a brush with a handle that is comfortable and easy to hold. It helps comfort and reduce wrist strain, especially when working for long hours.
The brush handle should be of the right length and thickness. It is vital to ensure the handle fits comfortably in your hand and you are not forced to strain your arm when using the brush.
What Are the Benefits of Brushing My Yorkie?
Regularly Brushing your Yorkie has many benefits such as:
- Prevents tangling and matting of hair – Daily brushing helps prevent the formation of tangles and matting of the hair, which can be painful for your dog. Matted fur can lead to skin issues or even encourage pests and parasites.
- Massages the dog’s skin – Brushing can also double up as a way of massaging your dog. Massages help in the circulation of natural skin oils and are also a great way of helping your dog to relax.
- Controls shedding of the hair and remove residue – Even though Yorkies do not generally shed a lot of hair, brushing can effectively keep the little hair off your furniture and home. Brushing also helps remove dirt or debris that may still be stuck in their coat.
- Bonding Time – Brushing your Yorkie is a great way to spend time with your dog. It helps to build trust ad even strengthen the relationship with your dog. In no time, your dog will look forward to the grooming sessions.
- Distribute natural oils – Daily brushing can stimulate the skin pores to release oils. The brushing helps to spread the oils evenly. Therefore, it is suitable for the health of your Yorkie and gives your dog a great appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to brushing your Yorkie, here are a few of the most commonly asked questions :
How Often Should I Brush My Yorkie?
Dogs with long show coats need brushing daily. Puppies and Yorkies with short coats may require brushing every three days, while you should brush those with medium coats on alternating days. It is best to brush your Yorkie even when the coat appears to be clean.
Do Yorkies Shed When Brushed?
Yorkies are considered hypoallergenic as they do not shed a lot of hair, and it does not often happen all at once. The falling out of hair is slow and well distributed throughout the year. If the hair appears to be falling out too fast, it may be an early sign of hair loss in your dog.
When Should You Brush Your Yorkie’s Hair?
It would be best to brush your Yorkie’s hair when it is wet. You will notice that it is a lot easier when wet than dry. It also prevents and reduces the formation of split ends resulting from dry brushing.
It would be best to consider a few factors when purchasing the best brush for your Yorkie. It can be a new challenge, especially for first-time dog owners, due to the different prices, materials, and manufacturers available for you to choose from. This guide should help you make the right decision.
|Chris Christensen Oval Pin Grooming Brush For Dogs(20mm)
|Hartz Groomer’s Best Combo Dog Brush
|ConairPRO Pet-It Boar Bristle Brush
|Type of hair
|Long or medium
|Short and curly
|Type of tips on the bristles
|Rounded plastic ends
|Is it a Combo brush?